The Recovery cognitive behavioral therapy program used by Uplift teaches us that our thoughts can be changed. Secure thoughts allow us to be in control of our health. Our feelings follow our thoughts, so spotting insecure thoughts prevents unpleasant feelings and symptoms, often including anxiety and distress. Once we have developed symptoms, we can learn to spot the trigger and rethink our response to it.
Our program presents simple rules and tools that help us mange how we respond to difficult, (tense-producing) situations. These rules teach us how to spot and change insecure thoughts that produce symptoms to secure ones, which produces calmness, clear-thinking, and a decrease or elimination of uncomfortable symptoms and feelings. Below are some of them. We explore these rules as well as others and help your apply them to your individual situations.
- SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY ARE DISTRESSING BUT NOT DANGEROUS
- IF YOU CAN’T CHANGE A SITUATION, YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE SITUATION
- HAVE THE COURAGE TO MAKE A MISTAKE
- FEELINGS RISE AND FALL AND RUN THEIR COURSE
- FEELINGS ARE NOT FACTS
- FEAR IS A BELIEF, AND BELIEFS CAN BE CHANGED
- BE WILLING TO BEAR THE DISCOMFORT UNTIL SYMPTOMS HAVE RUN THEIR COURSE
- ANTICIPATION IS OFTEN WORSE THAN REALIZATION
It may be saying too much to say the Recovery method saved my marriage, but it certainly made one husband a whole lot happier.”